Tuesday 16 April 2013

A Wake Up Call From My Mother's Womb...




I was in a deep sleep for good nine months.I never wanted to wake up.This was a cool morning on 8th of may 1987.My mother went to the nearby bush saying;My child, I know you are in a deep sleep but you need to wake up.You know you are a Legend.The world needs you.My dear you need to wake up.She lied on the bed; sorry on the ground.Suddenly I had a painful screen.Indeed she was screening on top of her voice.I felt her pain so badly.So I hastened up and came out.She started smiling.I looked at her face.But though she was still smiling, I could still read the pains of labour upon her face.I was emotionally moved and started crying for having made her pass through such pains.But when I came to discover that my crying increases her suffering, I stopped as she coddled me.This, was the birth of a legend.I said to myself though I couldn't talk as at then; "I must make my mother proud someday"At this time I opened my eyes very well.I looked around and realized I woke up in the farm.I saw faces I couldn't recognize.I saw flies,birds and creeping animals.I heard their sweet cries welcoming me to this harsh World.As the day go by after a long time I realized my mates woke up on the hospital bed.But mine was in the farm.They were born with silver spoon in their mouth.I saw the difference- it was so glaring like a sunny afternoon when the sun is scorching.I said to myself, "though I was born in the hut but the hut is not in me".I hit my chest again and again and said to myself; "Hey man, you must make it no matter the circumstance".Say that after me..."Hey man, you must make it no matter the circumstance".Repeat that again...again...again and again.Then allow the message to sink deep in you My dear, the journey was not easy at all.But I'm eternally grateful to God Almighty that at last He lifted me...I'm grateful.He told me that He will bless me according to my effort.He kept His word.Lord I'm grateful.You know me more than I know myself.You are seeing my heart...I don't know how to thank you.Today I woke up from a  mansion in comparison.From a bed full of roses surrounded with the good things of life.My dear mother I know you are proud of me...I'm glad you are.I am going to make the whole world proud of me.For the Legend in me is yet to come.If I can make it, you too can make it no matter your circumstance.Beat your chest  and say "it is well" for one day you must surely hammer...It is true that I was born in the farm but the farm is not in me.                                                                                                             

                                                                                                           --Nonso Nnoli

No comments: